Fresh, Positive Change
My name is Don Hubbard, and I am stepping up to put my name, my skill set, my experience, and my determination into becoming Mayor of Nanaimo.
I love this city, but like many of you, I’ve been feeling embarrassed about what has been happening here for quite some time.
I can no longer sit idly by and do nothing to improve this situation.
Our citizens deserve good governance and a leader that can bring stability to city hall.
We need to change our workplace culture so that city staff can find the pride that should naturally come with working for the taxpayers of Nanaimo.
Like the hundreds of staff that I have worked with over the years, they need a healthy respectful workplace, and they need to be empowered to help the citizens negotiate their way through the bureaucracy that comes with dealing with any civic government.
The leader of this city is so much more than being an ambassador; the skills required to do a great job are vast and diverse.
We can no longer afford to elect single issue councillors, or people with an axe to grind, or a cause to promote.
We need people that care, but more than that, we need people who have the skills and tenacity to get the job done.
I am ready to put my skills into action to chart a positive course that will bring pride and morale back to Nanaimo, but I can't do it alone.
This will require teamwork wtih city council, city staff, tax payers and private industry. It will require leadeship on all levels, but most of all, it will take a willingness to change.
Will you help me?
Proven Leadership Experience
- Nanaimo Citizen of the Year for Community Service (2007)
- BC Achievement Award for Public Service (2016)
- President of Hubbard Consulting Ltd.
- Chairman of Atlas Engineered Products Ltd.
- Past Chair of Island Health's Board of Directors
- Past Chair of Malaspina University College Board
- Director of VIU International High School
- Director of the VIU Foundation
- Director of the Queen Alexandria Foundation (children's foundation)
- Member of the Nanaimo Haven Society Fundraising Committee
- Past Senior National Director for BC Ducks Unlimited Canada